Bienvenidos!

My name is Molly, and I am your tour guide...err, I mean blogger.

Monday, February 14, 2011

Why the Gym is Not My Valentine

 I hate the gym.

That’s not an uncommon statement.  A lot of people hate the gym.  There are a lot of reasons to hate the gym.  It just depends on your point of view.  I love to work out.  I love having the machines available to me.  I love being able to work out without embarrassment with my fiancé. 

But I still hate the gym.  And I will tell you why.

This took place the last Friday I was in the gym:

Checking into Fitness 24 is painless enough.  Show up.  Enter your 10-digit number and futuristically scan you finger and you’re good to go.  Very modern.  I did just that, shouldering my purse and workout bag.  Next, I found my way through the maze of machines back to the women’s locker room.  The first few days I worked out at the gym, the locker room was super awkward for me.  It’s still awkward to me, just less awkward now.  The locker room atmosphere, I must say, is one with which I am not familiar.  There are people everywhere in every stage of being dressed or undressed.  It was and sometimes still is somewhat shocking.  I don’t think I could ever feel as free to get down to my birthday suit with strangers everywhere as some of the ladies in there.  After I picked a place that has the fewest locks in the surrounding lockers, I started to change into my workout clothes as I overheard this sentence exchanged between two rather tiny girls:

 “I just weighed myself and I weigh 114 pounds. I’ve never weighed over 110!”

Don’t mistake that exclamation point as indication of excitement.  Like she was saying, “I finally weigh more than my dog or my little sister!”  It was rather an exclamation of disgust.  I could only react the same way . . . for a completely different reason.  I mean, really?  Of course, I understand that people are built differently and while I haven't weighed that little since late elementary school, she may be built to be around 115 pounds.  It just seems ridiculous to me to be complaining about that.  She looked absolutely skinny still.  Really, those 4 pounds are probably fantastic muscle she's built up from being at the gym.  Get a grip.

I finally finished changing and headed out to meet my man.  He usually rides the bike and I rotate during the week between the treadmill, elliptical, and reclined bike as I feel like it.  I imagine being a man at the gym, it's a challenge to not let your eyes and mind wander when you look around.  Women are wearing all the tight spandex workout outfits, midriff shirts, and booty shorts.  While that is bad for the boys, it’s also bad for the girls.  Or maybe it’s just bad for me.  I look around and say to myself, “Gosh I wish I looked like her.” Two seconds later, I see another woman and say the same thing.  It’s kind of hard on the self-image.  And, as much as I love cute work out clothes, I think I’ve decided that you should look downright frumpy when you work out.  I’ve seen girls go back to the locker room more than once to touch up their hair and makeup only to return to working out.  Sickening.  For everyone’s sake, just look like a wreck. 

There are things I love about the gym (as I indicated in the beginning).  I love the diverse sample of people I see every Monday/Wednesday/Friday.  I love getting to people watch a little.  I love to work on my body and love to feel accomplished at the end.  However, there are just some things I don’t like about the gym.  I'm sure you can relate.


ON ANOTHER NOTE...
Happy Valentine's Day! :)  My man gave me a dozen roses and a cute card this morning. :)  I made him a card last night and left it in his office.  Sorry, I don't mean to make you sick.  I just love it.  Anyways, we have most of the wedding invitations out. YAY!  Now we're focusing on the next thing: music.  We'll get it all figured out eventually.

Well, I hope you have a wonderful Valentine's Day (whether or not you celebrate), or a wonderful Singles Awareness Day (whether or not you celebrate).  Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Bahahaha! Oh man, you crack me up. "For everyone's sake, just look like a wreck."
    I love it. If only things were that simple, right? Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, the gym. I look like a completely different person there, and I've just come to accept it. I'm not at work, I'm not at church, I'm not at a party...I'm at the gym. And I if I can let go of how I look...I have a great time!

    ReplyDelete