Bienvenidos!

My name is Molly, and I am your tour guide...err, I mean blogger.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Only a million more rows to go!

photo.JPG
Last New Years, my aunt taught all of my sisters and me how to knit.  We were all trying to make scarves (what's easier than rectangles?).  I was hopeless at first.  I kept adding stitches, and dropping them and, whoo, it was a mess. Thankfully, my aunt decided to simplify the pattern to just straight knitting. Knit, knit, knit. By Spring Break, I had a scarf...sort of.  It was WAY wide and just short.  That was my first adventure in knitting.  

After I graduated in May, I had plans to be creative and productive and all those good things.  Yeah. It's now November and I've finally started to make good on some of those plans.  I went to a craft store in October and picked up two skeins of yarn, knitting needles and a pattern book.  I decided I would knit...a scarf!  Yay! More rectangles. 

The very first project in the pattern book is a ribbed scarf.  It involves not only knitting, but also purling.  No big deal.  I skimmed over the instructions to refresh my memory.  I actually started this scarf in October.  I started it several times in October. 

The problem this time around making a scarf wasn't adding stitches or dropping them. It was working the pattern. I had about a foot before I set it down for a few days and came back to it, only to find after a few rows I had somehow reversed the pattern!  It went in when it should have gone out and out when it should have gone in. Over and over, I tried to correct my reversal without taking out all of my progress, but it was useless.  


Ultimately, a little more studying of my pattern book helped me to get the stitches straight. (Oh, so when you purl you...Oooooh, I see now.)  I re-restarted on Monday of this week. I now have about 2 feet and my current concern is running out of yarn.  


Reminder to self:  READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. They just might help.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment